Getting Started

Contact Us

Development & Business Services
20816 44th Ave W, Ste 230
Lynnwood, WA  98036

Main Office: (425) 670-5400

Staff Email Contacts 

Online Inspection Requests

Monday - Thursday
8:00 am - 3:00 pm
8:00 am - 12:00 Noon

Over the Counter Plan Review
Every Tuesday from 9 - 11 am
here for more information.


Do I need a permit?

A permit is required for the following:

  • Construct, alter, repair, demolish or move any building or structure
  • Changes in occupancy or use of a building or structure
  • Any work involving electrical, gas, plumbing or mechanical systems
  • Fire alarms, commercial hood suppression and sprinkler systems
  • Signs, special events and banners
  • Land uses and planning
  • Any work involving Public Works, i.e., grading, tree removal, sewer, etc.
  • Special events that takes place outdoors, in a parking lot or on public property. 

Things to know before you get started:

  • Is your project or property within Lynnwood City limits?  Check here.
  • Certain types of work are exempt from permits under the International Building Code and the International Residential Code.
  • Work on commercial buildings must be performed by a licensed, bonded and insured contractor with a City of Lynnwood Business License.
  • If your project is in unincorporated Snohomish County, please contact Snohomish County Planning & Development Services.
  • If you have any questions about whether or not your project requires any permits, please contact the Permit Center at 425-670-5400.



How do I apply for a permit?

Development & Business Services
4114 198th St SW Ste. 7
Lynnwood, WA  98036 

How much will a permit cost?

Most permits require a fee at the time of submittal, with the exception of Fire Alarm and Suppression Systems, Electrical and Sprinkler systems. Fees associated with a permit is based on several factors:

  • Value of the work being done
  • Size and complexity of the project
  • Any additional permits that may be required for the project
  • Amount of time required to review your plans and application
  • Inspection fees

We accept cash, checks, and all major credits cards. The maximum payment accepted by credit card is $2,500.  Land Use applications which have both fee and deposit type applications should provide separate checks for each.

See the fee schedules below to calculate your estimated fees for permits and plan review.