Lynnwood Development & Business Services (DBS) is responsible for reviewing and issuing a wide variety of permits and land use applications, including residential and commercial building permits, electrical permits, boundary line adjustments, subdivisions, driveway aprons to right-of-way, clearing and grading, and others. The types of permits you will need depends on the what you are trying to do. There as many factors to consider for different types of land use and construction projects.
Before you begin:
- Is your project located within Lynnwood city limits? There are many properties with a Lynnwood address that are located outside Lynnwood city limits in unincorporated Snohomish County. Use our Do I Live in Lynnwood Map to check your project address.
- Do you need a permit? Review the Work Exempt from Permit Reference Sheet(PDF, 61KB) for a list of projects that do not require a permit. If you do not see your project listed, a permit is required.
- What permits do you need? Contact our Permit Staff for information on what types of permits will be required. We are here to help you through the process.
Permit applications can be submitted in person at Development & Business Services. It is important to submit your completed application with the required plans and documents.
- Completed Application
- Building Plans
- Additional Required Documentation
Simple over the counter applications that do not require plan review can be applied for through the DBS Online Portal. All other permit and land use applications can be submitted in person at DBS.
DBS Location: 20816 44th Ave W, Lynnwood 98036 Hours: Monday - Thursday 8AM - 3PM, Friday 8AM - 12PM
Here is a list of permit applications available online through the DBS Online Portal:
- Electrical (low voltage, remodel/repair, new panel, temporary power)
- Mechanical (residential remodel, repair, new equipment)
- Plumbing (residential new fixtures, remodel, repair)
- Re-Roof (single-family residential)
- Sewer (side sewer new or repair, capping)
- Tree Clearing
- Grease Interceptor
- Minimum Site Inspection (residential and commercial)
- Industrial Waste Discharge (authorization, significant user)
Your permit application and plans will be reviewed for compliance with the City's building, land use, and safety codes. Review time is typically 6 to 8 weeks, but can vary depending on the type, size and complexity of your project.
- What if changes are needed on my plans? If your plans require any changes, the applicant and contacts listed on the application will be contacted by our Plan Review Staff with required revision to your plans.
- How do I submit revised plans? Once the revisions have been made to your plans with all changes clouded, submit 2 sets of copies of your revised plans along with a response letter addressing each of the reviewers comments and reference your permit number at our Development & Business Services office.
We will email you with payment instructions once your permit application has been reviewed. Payments can be made online through the DBS Online Portal, in person at Lynnwood Development & Business Services, or over the phone by calling 425-670-5400.
Once your permit application has been approved and your payment has been received, Permit Staff will email you a copy of your permit or you can pick one up at Development & Business Services. You are required to keep a copy of your permit posted in a visible location throughout your project.
Inspections are scheduled through the DBS Online Portal. Before you request an inspection:
- Verify the work is complete, pre-tested, uncovered and accessible
- Have a copy of approved plans, permits and other paperwork on site
Are you ready to request an inspection? Visit our Request an Inspection page for detailed instructions on how to submit your request through the DBS Online Portal.