196th ST SW(SR-524) Improvement Project
As one of the busiest highways in Snohomish County, 196th St SW (SR 524) carries thousands of vehicles a day. This corridor is home to hundreds of businesses, a major transit center, and a future light rail station. Planned improvements are designed to reduce traffic congestion, better accommodate bus and transit travel, increase business access, provide utility capacity for future development and promote safety.
Project improvements include:
- Street and pedestrian lighting
- Conversion of overhead power and communication utilities to underground
- New traffic signals
- Planted medians
- Wider sidewalks and landscape features
- New business access and transit (BAT) lanes
- New storm drainage, water quality and flow control
- New water main and fire hydrants
- New sewer main
- New driveways for all businesses
- repave full roadway
These improvements will accommodate the growth of City Center. They will also create an enhanced pedestrian environment with a boulevard appearance.
The City received a grant for $1,730,000 to complete the design of this project. We also received grants for $19,980,000 from Regional sources for Right of Way and Construction.
196th ST SW (SR-524) Improvement Project Drop-In Session - February 3, 2021
196th ST SW (SR-524) Improvement Project Drop-In Session Summary(PDF, 1MB)
Public Notices and Involvement Opportunities
196th ST SW, 98036 View Map