South Lynnwood Park Renovation & Renewal
South Lynnwood Park is a 4.2-acre neighborhood park. It is in the City’s most racially diverse neighborhood. Developed in 1978, this park has many amenities which are beyond their useful life. Many of the amenities don’t meet the community’s need for physical activity and community gatherings. This project will provide accessible and close-to-home recreation opportunities for South Lynnwood.
This is the only active park within walking distance in the neighborhood. We’ve focused on meeting the needs of different user groups with many recreation opportunities. Outreach was undertaken to ensure this project will meet the needs of the community. The project will transform the park into a community hub. It will support active lifestyles for people of all ages and abilities.
An initial project phase was conducted from March 2017 – August 2018. This concluded with a 30% conceptual design for grant application submissions. The 30% design incorporates community feedback with geotechnical, critical areas, and arborist assessments. The design uses the site’s natural features and drainage properties to create recreation and gathering spaces.
The project will:
- Replace and expand the playground area
- Add a new picnic shelter and seating
- Resurface the tennis/multi-sport court
- Make ADA improvements to the restrooms and pathways
- Improve the drainage of the grass lawn and natural areas.
If grant funding is made available:
- The basketball court will be moved and replaced with an artificial-turf soccer field
- The park design will improve the connection to the Interurban Trail
- A new bike station for park and trail users are planned
Portions of this project is made possible through the contributions of The Trust for Public Land and Kaiser Permanente.
Public Notice and Involvement Opportunities