Public Works Permits

 The Public Works Development Services Division provides permit, inspection and plan review services for private development.

Critical areas include wetlands, streams, fish and wildlife priority habitat areas, geologically hazardous areas, frequently flooded areas, and critical aquifer recharge areas.  These areas are of special concern to the City of Lynnwood and we work protect these areas, while providing property owners with reasonable use of their property. 


A cross connection is any actual or potential physical connection between a drinking water system and any other non-potable substance (liquid, solid, or gas).  A permit is required for any cross connection to protect the public potable water supply from possible contamination or pollution due to backflow or backsiphonage from a customer's private internal system into the public potable water system.  Please include any applicable cross connection control surveys with your application.

Grading is the process of excavating or placing soil on your property. A grading permit is required for cuts greater than 2 ft, cuts which create slopes greater than 1 1/2 to1, fill quantities greater than 50 cubic yards, fills on slopes greater than 5 to 1, fills deeper than 1 foot or fills that will obstruct an existing drainage course.

All food service establishments that serve or prepare food or any other establishment from which a considerable amount of fats, oil, or grease (F.O.G.) may be introduced to the sewer system shall have an adequate grease removal system installed and/or exercise proper kitchen best management practices to ensure that excess concentrations of F.O.G. are not discharged to the Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW).


A permit is required to move a building over, along or across any street, alley or public. LMC Chapter 16.20 - Building Moving contains the requirements for a house moving permit. 


City of Lynnwood is the delegated Control Authority for all industrial users within the City's Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW). All industrial users are subject to federal, state, and local regulations for their industrial wastewater.

Any actions that are within or interfere with right-of-way require a permit. Be sure to include traffic control plans at the time of permit application.

Permits are required for any activity by a citizen or business that impacts a City road or public right-of-way, in order to protect the infrastructure and the public's safety and investment.

Any streets, private or public, that will be used as right-of-way require a road improvement permit. 


City of Lynnwood residents have expressed much concern over the loss of trees in Lynnwood. In March 2004 the City of Lynnwood updated its tree regulations to designate and protect Heritage trees. We now require removal permits prior to tree removal on all property, including single-family lots. Always contact the City prior to removing a tree. Depending on the situation, you may need a permit, but the permit may be no-cost. 

New development may necessitate the installation of new water mains. The developer shall apply for a water main permit. The water utility only shall install, own, maintain and operate the water service connection from the main to and including the service cock or meter. In cases where a meter may be located a considerable distance from the main for customer or service convenience, the customer shall maintain the service pipe for the entire distance from the normally designated location of the service cock or meter to the point of ultimate water usage or consumption.

A permit is required for the installation of a water service line to a building or property. Applications and fees must be submitted at least 30 days before the applicant’s requested completion date. The installation of any water service line is dependent on the available water distribution facilities and the utility is not required to have service available in areas not served by the existing water distribution system or where the system is inadequate to handle the increased demand that would result from the applicant’s proposed use. 

Weekend Work approvals are valid for three consecutive Saturdays.  Work is permitted only on Saturdays from 9AM - 5PM.